Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Day 2,443

The First as Five



I hope one day, they look back and say to me, “Mom, you taught me what it is to be sustained by and rooted in Christ, confident in nothing but his sacrifice and his righteousness.” Or at least something along those lines. If nothing else, I hope they see a mom who loves the Lord and pursues Him in obedience always, even in the ugly times and even in the pretty times. My role as a mother is so much greater than I ever initially perceived it to be, but thank God that he’s revealing the immeasurable impact I have on their very souls, day in and day out. What a task. What a responsibility. But what an honor. I treasure motherhood and hold it dearly. I love my role as a mom and even more, I love my role as THEIR mom. I am filled with gratitude and joy when I consider that of all the children the Lord could’ve given or could’ve withheld, these are the three he gave me. Bearett. Amelia. Ella Mae. Oh my heart. I love you each more than I could try to explain and thank God for such grace in choosing you for me! 

The happiest Mother’s Day yet came on my third year of celebration - with three gremlins climbing all over me for most of it. This is right where I want to be. Leading them, alongside Adam. 
I don’t know how it could get better. 

Happy Mother’s Day. 
And especially to my own Mom, who’s given me such wisdom, encouragement, care, and support over the last thirty years. I would be hard pressed to find a more sacrificial, protective, and dependable woman to share my life with and am grateful always for the example she puts before me. Her tremendous successes and inevitable failures have helped to shape me into the woman I am today. I love you, Mama. 

A special thank you as well to my Grama, who I count on almost daily for a smile and who’s brought me such joy over the years with her ornery jokes and contagious laughs. She’s one of my best and most loyal of friends and I’m just smitten with the love she brings my life. 

To my sisters, who are riding alongside me through this journey of motherhood. Thank you for your shared loved, for your ideas, for your recipes, and friendships. And for answering the midnight calls when I don’t know if I’m just being a hypochondriac or if maybe an ER visit is the wise choice. I count on you for so much and depend on you for helping me keep my sanity some days. I love doing life with you, even from all these miles away. Happy third time being a mom, Ellie. And happy first to you, Shelby! What a task we have before us. May we be those who take it seriously and recognize how much of an impact we have on these little lives!

To you as well, Katy. Happy Mother’s Day to the woman who’s son I adore in the most dear and intimate of ways. You raised a man who’s unlike any other. Such a treasure. I realize more and more just how much effort and sacrifice it took on your behalf. Thank you. I love you.

And finally, to my sister who made me a mom for the third time. I’ve found a love for our son that I never could’ve imagined so sweet. So pure. So real and true. Your sacrifice has added immeasurable joy to our lives and I couldn’t imagine for a second not hearing the word “Mom” come from that tough, freckle-faced, tender hearted boy. The torch you lit and passed onto me has always shone so bright in our lives and I will forever be in gratitude toward you for not letting the flame burn out. In all of this, you are the unsung hero who is deserving of being told “Happy Mother’s Day” every day of your life. You are a tremendous mom. Truly. I gush with pride over the humble sacrifice you made in giving Bearett a home in my family and will always consider you one of the strongest women I know. I love you Morgan. In such a deep and special way. My hope (Bearett’s too!) is that someday, you’d fully recognize the greatest picture of adoption that we’ve shared so often with you, and that you too would proclaim yourself an adopted child and heir of the King. Happy Mother’s Day, my sweet sister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment