Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Day Eight Hundred and Thirty-Four

The Finest Teamwork


So remember back in June when I was having all those weird issues with feeling like I have a rib poking me in the lung? At the time, I was going to the chiropractor a bunch and finally had an MRI. They never found anything, so I just sorta gave up hope on finding out what was wrong and dealt with the pain. Fast forward 6 more months and I still have the poking rib. But it's gotten worse. Especially since I started playing catch with Adam <insert frowney face here>. So here's what we've come up with: I warm Adam up like normal. We play catch until he gets to around 100 feet. Then, he takes a bin of baseballs out with him and chucks them to me…and instead of me wrenching my rib anymore by trying to toss them back, I just throw them on the ground and they accumulate on my side until all his are gone. Then, he comes and picks them up, tosses them back into the bin, and we do it all over again. Maybe it's not the most efficient way to play catch, but he's getting his work in and I'm doing my best to help! Conley teamwork at its finest!


Oh wait. This is Conley teamwork at its finest, actually. Yesterday, we made a bunch of Almond Roca - a very secret family candy recipe - and handed bags of it out to all the neighbors on our floor. In South Florida, we're learning, this is a big deal. Because nobody ever says hi to anybody. Nobody reaches out. Nobody tries to make friends. At least not where we live. And so, when we knocked on our neighbors' doors, 7 times out of 10, through the thin walls of our condo complex, we would hear something to the sound of:

Wife: I think there's somebody at the door.
Husband: There's somebody at the door? And they're not a delivery man? A service man?
Wife: No, they maybe look like they're selling something though? Or maybe our neighbors? 
Husband: We have neighbors? *Grunts*

But then when they opened up and heard a "Merry Christmas!" from the other side, smiles lit their faces. It was the sweetest thing. And in those instances, I got a glimpse of what it would look like if every week - or even every other week - our small little neighborhood hallway was greeted by a smile at the door. Something so small…what could it turn into? I thought about our neighbors all night. How I want to serve them and love on them, and show them something different. Jesus. I want to show them Jesus. As a Christian, I've been commissioned by the Lord to go out into the world and make disciples. And since God placed us on this floor, in this too big apartment, with all these neighbors who were blessed by such a little itty bitty Christmas treat, this is exactly where we need to be discipling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment