Friday, November 29, 2013

Day Eight Hundred and Nine

The Third Thanksgiving


A baking wife...from scratch. That's what I am!


Before getting married, we were encouraged to set a few traditions for our new family that we'd hold onto over the years. Though we've only been married two little baby years, this was our third Thanksgiving together, and for three years now, this has become one of our traditions...


Handmade - from scratch - dinner rolls for the holidays.


Adam's very favorite. A secret family recipe that he's drooled over all his life. Now, together, we're in charge of seeing that he gets his Mom's special rolls at least three times a year! (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, of course!)


With rolls prepared and another secret family recipe - almond roca - made the night before, Adam and I headed over to our friends' Marissa and Christian's home for a Thanksgiving meal. 

Let me tell you something. For my whole life, my family has always been that family…the family who invites anyone and everyone in need of some family lovin and good food into their home for the holidays. I can't remember the last year we celebrated a holiday without at least one "non-family member" present. And it's something I've always loved about growing up in the Mays house. Yesterday though, I got to experience Thanksgiving from the opposite side. Adam and I were those friends in need of some family lovin and good food…and just like my family did for so many friends before, the Recchiuti's did for us. They took us in, gave us food, and made us feel like we were just another link in their New Jersey family chain. For that, we are so grateful. The distance between us and our families is hard. Especially on me. We have so much that we miss back in Washington, and though I'd love nothing more than to sit around the dinner table with my family, spouting off jokes and handing out hugs, our time with our friends was a treasure that we've been blessed to have. 

Thank you, Marissa and Christian, for being so kind to open your home to us on such a special day. Thank you, family, for preparing us with traditions we'll continue for years and years to come. Thank you, Adam, for being my constant, most loyal, thoughtful and cherished friend. And thank you, Jesus, for giving me the eyes to recognize the countless blessings You've poured into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment