Friday, October 18, 2013

Day Seven Hundred and Sixty-Seven

The First Time I Ever Shot A Gun


Adam grew up hick. Ish. Me, not so much. Not even at all.
While he hunted and played with guns, I grew up braiding hair and playing Barbies. My parents never owned a gun. Adam's dad carries one every day at work. It's accurate to say that we grew up very different, and therefore, some of the things Adam likes are things I've never experienced. Until yesterday. For the first time ever, I watched an arrow being shot out of a bow - in real life. Katniss Everdeen made it look so easy in the movies. Come to find out, there's way more to it than pointing and shooting.  


But Adam managed to make it look pretty easy too, I must brag. For not having shot a bow in at least 5 years, he was money from 20 yards (that's as far back as the range is long). It took a little time and adjustment to get his pins set, but once he got comfortable, Adam shot well. All the holes in the bullseye would suggest that, but even better, when he was instructed to aim for the little black dot on the bottom left of the target sheet, he about hit the darn thing square on, not once, but twice...in a row! Keep working at it, Honey, and soon, we'll have ourselves a nice buck!


For round two, Adam put glasses and ear muffs of me and handed me a loaded gun. Enter: emotions on extreme. Again, I've only ever seen - or heard - a gun fired from the comfort of my couch. Never in real life. So when I entered the enclosed range and got the full effect of gun blast for the very first time, I was terrified. Caught off-guard. And totally scared for my life. I guess I'd never considered just how loud they are. The ear muffs should've given it away. 


I watched a gun being fired for the first time in my life. And I'm glad it was Adam that got to be that for me. He's such a patient and kind teacher, and made me feel safe in a place that I didn't necessarily feel safe in. Plus, he's really hot. And especially behind that gun!


The first shot scared me half to death. So did the second. The third too. I closed my eyes. Guilty. But the gun didn't smack me in the face. And I didn't accidentally kill anyone...those were my only goals for the day. I held that thing out there as strong as I could, not knowing how much it would "kick" me back. Well, it didn't. So there! I might've missed the target the first few times, but I didn't go home with a black eye. And everyone kept their lives. That, I'd say, was a successful day at the range. (And check out Adam's photo skills in this one...he snapped it right as the gun was firing! That's real fire! Which I didn't know happened before today either...)


I shot a 9mm and Adam shot - for the first time - his .44 mag. They - Adam and the employee - said that I wasn't allowed to shoot Adam's gun. Not anytime soon, at least. (Unless someone is breaking into my house, then I'll shoot it.) Apparently, the 44 is a hefty thing and would probably give me that black eye I'm trying to avoid. Of course, Adam has already shot the thing with one hand. Show off. Surely I'll be able to handle it with a few more days at the range!

It was an afternoon of many firsts. I was tired physically, mentally, and emotionally, but I know that once I feel calm and confident behind the trigger, it'll all be so worth it. Second amendment baby! 

No comments:

Post a Comment