Friday, October 25, 2013

Day Seven Hundred and Seventy-Four

The WWBA World Championship 2013
(A Perfect Game USA Showcase)


Apparently at Roger Dean every year, the complex's 13 fields play host to the largest - and most talented - high school prospect showcase in America. From all over the country, players pay big money and travel long distances to display their talents in front of - literally - hundreds and hundreds (a thousand?) of college and professional scouts. I've never seen so many golf carts or radar guns saturated in one place ever in my life. And I found myself like a broken record, repeating the same phrase, "I had no idea baseball was like this."


At every field, this was the scene. Only, here, I've just barely captured the front row of a "traffic jam" at least 5 carts deep. I couldn't believe my eyes. At Field 5 last night, two highly talented teams played each other in front of what seemed to me, the very largest crowd of scouts. I overheard one person saying, "There's at least $15 million in signing bonuses on this field right now." Come again? Yeah, these high schoolers are those kinds of draft picks. Just wow. I had no idea. 

85 teams play over the next 3 days, for a chance to compete in the final game in the actual Roger Dean Stadium, where all (scouts) eyes will be on them. Well, mine too. Because I want to see! (I gotta prepare myself for what it'll be like 20-something years from now when my boy's in the mix! Haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment