Sunday, September 1, 2013

Day Seven Hundred and Twenty

The Final Start of 2013


Well that went by fast...
Adam's last start of the 2013 season came on August 31...and as I sit here, writing from the kitchen table, I'm in shock that the calendar reads "September 1st." That's like...fall almost?! If I remember correctly, last season didn't go by this fast. Sigh. I don't know how happy I am about the season coming to a close. We've had an incredible year with the Suns...so many ups...with just a few downs. And it's weird that after last night, Adam won't throw in Jacksonville again. Well, unless we make the playoffs...or if he gets assigned here next year...

So last night, I took it all in. The feelings. The sights. The fans. The smells. The kids. The guys. The field. The weather. The Sounds. The cheers. But most of all, the man on the mound.


He's just incredible, really. 
I couldn't describe if I tried, exactly how proud I am of him. He's the most committed, hard working, honest man I know. He's a light in the darkest of places. And humility follows wherever he goes. I married a man of integrity and character. One whom I can count on for anything. I thank God every day for putting Adam in my life, and baseball or not, I am blessed beyond my wildest dreams.


The biggest upside of Adam in baseball is that he doesn't bring it home. 
It's not his strikeout to walk ratio. Or his ERA. Or his WHIP. Or his 0 batting average. Or his handedness. Or Wins. Or Losses. Or even his velocity. It's the fact that when the game is over, it's over. Done. He doesn't dwell on it or become defined by it. That's special. And for this baseball wife, so unbelievably appreciated.

Adam said after his game last night, "Now, I don't want you to freak out by this or start to worry. I'm over it and you need to be as well. But that was one of the worst starts I've had in a long time." Okaaaaaaaay. Thanks, Adam. Haha :) His honesty is just that...honest. But if it's the truth, he's not afraid to speak it. Praise God. So, he didn't have his best outing...bummer, because that was the last of the (regular) season. Sigh. His pitch selection was lacking, and he made some mistakes. Thankfully (for my sanity), his numbers wouldn't suggest a dismal outing. It wasn't his prettiest performance, but he held his head up, and finished his job. And when he walked off the mound, I was - more than ever - proud to call him mine.


And bad outing or not, I'd pick #4 EVERY SINGLE TIME.

His line for the night:
5IP, 6H, 3R, 2ER, 1BB, 6K

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Adam on a terrific season in Jax. It's been fun following your season on Suns radio and also Kendall's blog. Hopefully the Suns will make it to to post season but either way, enjoy the time between seasons. May both of your lives continue to shine brightly for the Lord!

    Blessings bro (ans sis)

    Jeff M
    Family Church at Abacoa

    ReplyDelete